Monday, July 4, 2011

I'm Back!

Okay.  I know it's been a while and I'm sure you were wondering if this site was aptly named.

As I mentioned earlier, I think the challenges related to genealogy on this side of my family tree has always been a huge mental obstacle to overcome. However, at work we're now functionally testing versions of our site in French and German exposing me to the use of virtual keyboards and translation tools like Google translate and Firefox's Babelfish add-on, which aren't perfect but get the job done.  This and the generally nag that resides in the back of my head have pushed me to dust off this project again.

So first off, I went online and checked out what was available at my local library.1  I live in Los Angeles county which allows me to request any book from any of the country libraries...for free!  Once found, you just place the book on hold and request it to be sent to your local library.  I don't think all libraries do this...at least not for free.  But I don't think the fee is that much...a dollar here or there.

The sad thing, though, is that I found only one book on Chinese American Genealogy.2

Oh well.  At least it's a start.

Resources
  1. County of Los Angeles Library website
  2. The Chinese American Genealogy book found in the LA Country library catalog -- She, Colleen. A Student's Guide to Chinese American Genealogy. Book. Oryx Press. 1996

No comments:

Post a Comment